Blood pressure refers to the force exerted by circulating blood on the walls of your blood vessels. Typical values for a healthy adult human are approximately 120/80.
Large variations in blood pressure levels can be dangerous, so it always helps to keep your pressure under control. This can be done through regular check-ups, medicines, life style changes and relaxation techniques. Here are some basic steps that may be followed:
High Blood Pressure or Hypertension
- Maintain a healthy body weight.
- Follow a healthy eating plan that emphasizes fruits, vegetables and low fat dairy foods.
- Drink alcoholic beverages in moderation.
- Be physically active.
- Quit smoking.
Low Blood Pressure
- Drink a lot of water.
- Cool down after exercising. Stopping in the middle of an exercise routine can drop blood pressure.
- Drink healthy juice or any non-alcoholic drinks.
- Increase salt intake.
- Take a walk after having a meal. This helps in bringing the blood pressure level to normal.