It is estimated that two people die of TB every three minutes in India. These deaths can prevented through modern anti-TB treatment such as DOTS that has to be undertaken for a prescribed duration. The government has established the National Tuberculosis Programme to create the infrastructure for the control of the disease.
Prevention of Tuberculosis:
- Wash hands frequently especially after being around people with chronic coughs.
- Take an annual TB test. They are available at minimal costs at community clinics.
- Chest X-ray cab be undertaken to detect clinical signs of TB in lungs.
- Avoid standing close to people when they are coughing.
- A lot of fresh air should be inhaled to keep lungs healthy.
- A healthy diet is rich in vitamins, minerals, calcium, protein and fibre should be consumed.